Maya Cultural Visit
- Minimum: 3 guests per tour
- Maximum: 12 guests per tour
- Duration: 6 hours
- Price: $55 USD per person (includes lunch)
- Booking: 24 hours in advance required
- If traveling by bus from Punta Gorda, the cost is $5 USD round trip.
- Inquire about private transportation. We will gladly assist.
Discount is available for Groups of 10 or more
One of the true treasures of Belize is its unique people. You will gain an immersive experience that offers the best opportunity to enhance a deeper connection with one of Belize’s many cultures – one that you will surely never forget. In the Toledo District, you will discover the Maya Culture first hand and find that Belize’s historical roots are alive through the traditional lifestyle of the Maya people. You will spend the day learning how the local Maya live.
Join in various arts and crafts making such as basket weaving, wood carving and weaving of traditional curtal bags. Be a part of the preparation and cooking of a traditional fire hearth meal. If dancing is a great interest of yours then you will certainly leave with a new traditional dance; the marimba or the harp dance.
This is a glimpse into a culture that has existed in this region for thousands of years and interact with some truly wonderful people. The women you meet with will tailor the time to your interests so if there are certain activities which pique your curiosity more than others please let them know.
Your traditional meal can be tailored according to your dietary restrictions. The Maya women’s groups have souvenirs such as baskets, wood carvings, slate carvings and handbags, just to name a few.
Fitness level: Low
We are more than happy to amend the itinerary to meet your needs based on your time and length of stay in the Toledo District, southern Belize.
- 9:15am – Arrive at Ya’axché Field Station, Golden Stream Corridor Preserve
- 9:20am – Depart for local Maya women’s group in nearby village
- 9:30am – Maya Cultural experience begins
- 12:00pm – Lunch at local Maya women’s group
- 3:30pm – Tour concludes
Click this link for directions to the Field Center at Golden Stream Corridor Preserve.
- This tour has no requirements other than a willingness to try new things and a positive attitude.
- Non-aerosol bug spray