- Minimum: 6 guests per tour
- Maximum: 8 guests per tour
- Duration: 4 hours
- Price: $95 USD per person (includes lunch)
- Booking: 1 week in advance required (As the healing ceremony requires the spiritual healer to gather specific incenses)
- If traveling by bus from Punta Gorda, the cost is $5 USD round trip.
- Inquire about private transportation. We will gladly assist.
Discount is available for Groups of 10 or more
Delve into the traditional Maya medicinal world and experience a spiritual healing ceremony practiced for centuries. Presently, only a handful of Maya Healers are found in southern Belize.
Your tour will be held at Itzamma Botanical Garden just south of our Field Station in the Maya Golden Landscape. Itzamma means home to the Maya God of wisdom (Itzamma) and place of healing spiritually with herbs. It is the name chosen by the Q’eqchi’ Healers Association to represent their traditional healing center, botanical gardens and community-based conservation efforts.
You will visit with one of the Maya Healers (accompanied by his translator) in southern Belize and partake in a spiritual cleansing ceremony. After the ceremony, you will have the opportunity to visit the gardens cultivated by the healers and learn about the medicinal plants and herbs used in their practice. You will also learn about the journey they are undertaking in getting recognized and accepted by hospitals, the Government of Belize and even the general population in successfully treating patients.
Your tour will end with a farm to table meal prepared by a local Maya women’s group and an opportunity to discuss the ceremony with your guide.
Fitness level: Moderate
We are more than happy to amend the itinerary to meet your needs based on your time and length of stay in the Toledo District, southern Belize.
- 8:15am – Arrive at Ya’axché Field Station, Golden Stream Corridor Preserve
- 8:30am – Depart for Itzamma Botanical Garden
- 8:45am – Arrive at the entrance and hike to Itzamma Botanical Garden (approx. 20 mins)
- 12:15pm – Tour concludes; hike out to entrance
- 12:35pm – Depart for lunch at local Maya women’s group
Click this link for directions to the Field Center at Golden Stream Corridor Preserve.
- Sturdy walking shoes/boots with a good tread. Expect them to get muddy and wet depending on the season.
- Non-aerosol bug spray
- Lightweight, long pants and a long-sleeve shirt with the option of a t-shirt or other quick drying shirt.
- Hat with rim and/or bandana
- Water and a snack for the trail