Ranger for a Day
- Minimum: 3 guests per tour
- Maximum: 8 guests per tour
- Duration: 4 Hours
- Price: $55 USD per person (includes lunch)
- Booking: 3 days in advance required
- If traveling by bus from Punta Gorda, the cost is $5 USD round trip.
- Inquire about private transportation. We will gladly assist.
Discount is available for Groups of 10 or more.
Join us on an unparalleled experience in the Belizean jungle alongside a local Maya Ranger. You will be part of an official Ya’axché ranger patrol of the 15,441 acre Golden Stream Corridor Preserve.
This unique trek will give you the opportunity to play an important role in the protection of this vital forest corridor; a behind the scene experience that most tourists do not experience while in Belize. As an honorary Ranger for the Day, you will contribute to the daily wildlife logs; record key species of mammals and birds along the riverside trail; and, learn how our rangers detect signs of illegal hunting and fishing.
You will hone your own detective skills as you learn to identify jaguar, puma and tapir tracks. Identify the unique call of the Montezuma oropendolas and spot possibly hummingbirds, toucans and curassows.
Your boots will likely get muddy and you should be prepared to get sweaty, but after a morning of adventure you are invited to enjoy a refreshing dip in the Golden Stream River, the lifeblood of the Golden Stream Corridor Preserve.
To be a Ranger for a Day be ready for a hike in hot and humid conditions.
Fitness level: Moderate
We are more than happy to amend the itinerary to meet your needs based on your time and length of stay in the Toledo District, southern Belize.
- 9:15am – Arrive at Ya’axché Field Station, Golden Stream Corridor Preserve
- 9:30am – Ecotour begins
- 12:00pm – Lunch at local Maya women’s group
- 1:00pm – Ecotour concludes
Click this link for directions to the Field Center at Golden Stream Corridor Preserve.
- Sturdy walking shoes/boots with a good tread, expect them to get muddy and wet, depending on the season
- Non-aerosol bug spray
- Eco-friendly sunscreen
- Lightweight, long pants and a long-sleeve shirt with the option of a t-shirt or other quick drying shirt
- Hat with rim and/or bandana
- Binoculars and a camera if you care to get a closer look and record some of your sightings
- Bathing suit and a towel if you fancy a dip in the stream
- Water and a snack for the trail